Skip to main content

Is being Successful implies that I am Blessed and the contrary is true?

One of my dearest friend asked me this question: Does it mean if a man is successful, he is being blessed by God and if he is not, does it mean he is not good and God is not blessing him? 

This is the question that I always have when I am going through tough times. 

Success in current generation is mostly decided by the job, wealth, health, family and possessions. If you are well settled and your life is perfectly sorted, you are a successful man or woman. Success is mostly looked as it is earned by ones own hard work. It is very self centered. Part of the success for most of the people is along with fortune comes the fame. Even film stars who are far away from God are prosperous. Is God blessing them? Do you think being in this comfortable zone with all riches and fame, you will still come near God? John Pipers words on wealthy

Blessings on the other hand are from God alone. It is not a result of a formula or a strategy but by gift of God alone. Blessings are the successes or the gifts which we feel we do not deserve to have them but receive them because of His grace and unconditional love.

I am a woman who fear God, blessed by God in every way. But how? Is it because I am good or faithful and have a close relation with God? We do see a lot of people in Bible who were faithful and had very close relation with God. But when we see the sufferings they went through for their faith, it is beyond imagination. 
  • Job was an upright man and very close to God, but was tortured in every way.
  • Paul was an apostle worked for God, but someone cut his head off.
  • Joseph was humble and close to God, but a tribe kidnapped him into slavery.
  • Stephen was close to god, but crowd stoned him to death.
  • Moses was the meekest and close to God, but got exiled into desert.
  • Jesus was Son of God, but He was mocked and put to death on cross. 
Few people had happy endings after sufferings, and lot of them including disciples and prophets didn't in this physical world. The main motive of Bible is to transform people into Christ likeness, not to give people riches and have best life now. Matthew 5:10 says "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven". This shows that God won't promise a smooth ride for people who follow Him, but surely the reward in Heaven. As Jesus says in Matthew 16:24-26 “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?" We need to take up our cross daily and willfully walk the walk of faith doing the will of God. Like Paul already said in Acts 14:22 "through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God".

Till one month back, I was making a huge paycheck, my husbands stocks were doing great. Now, I do not have a job, and his stocks hit the rock bottom due to COVID-19. Exactly like it is said in Proverbs 23:4-5 "do not trust your own cleverness.Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle". So having our security in our bank balance and possessions is a foolish thing to do as they can fleet in a blink of an eye. Only God and His word remains same yesterday, today and forever!

But remember, bible doesn't teach poverty gospel too. It is the motives of your heart that God examines. Are you content with what you have now? If you are running after success, what is the WHY behind it? Are your motives to gain self glory? Gain attention and praise from others? Gain more bank balance? Increase stock savings? Build one more house? Or are you honestly wanting to serve in your role with your all your might? Daniel, Joseph, David never went after the higher roles. They were just loyal and obedient to God in everything they did. God blessed them abundantly with earthly riches. But those riches and positions are used by them to serve God's people. What are you doing with your riches? Are you looking for self glory or helping in building in Gods kingdom? 

Finally, we need to treasure up our wealth in heaven as said in Matthew 6:19-21 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Other verses for quick reference : 1 Timothy 6:17-19, Mark 4:19, Proverbs 11:28

Have a blessed day! 😇


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey in search of Truth

Hello there! I want to share my story about how I encountered God and started pursuing Him. Growing up, I was a curious kid. I was born into a core Hindu family where everything can be considered to be a god. Literally speaking, Hinduism believe in 3 crore goddesses. So I believed and grew up thinking that all gods are equal. I used to visit temples a lot where a lot of god idols are there. But back of my mind I always had a doubt that which one is listening and which one is answering. I went to a Catholic school where my mom is a teacher. So I learnt how to pray basic prayer to a Christian God Jesus. Hurray! I have one more God added to my list now. So whenever I need something, like getting good grades, getting good gifts from my parents and if I need to find something that I lost before my mom finds out, I used to test these gods. So likewise, it was Jesus' turn in my trial. Magically, everything that I asked was answered. I was happy! So I continued to use Him like I w

A Thriller Roller Coaster Ride

I work for a big company, I make a good salary and am in my 3rd month of pregnancy. My team has been involving me in great assignments. My manager said she would give me a raise, and asked me to take promotion interview too..Everything is going really well and smooth.  But.... Source:  https://wallpaperaccess.com/roller-coaster-desktop On Friday the 21st, 2020 as I was waiting on my STEM OPT(work authorization extension) approval for over a month, I called out to USCIS to see my case status after my husband Sandeep literally pursued me to call. I was expecting nothing but just wait for few more days.. but the customer care lady said that on Feb 18th, my case got denied by the USCIS and the denial reason will be mailed to me directly. I was shocked and had nothing to say to her. I looked to my husband Sandeep and all my life flashed in a moment..losing job, going back to India leaving my husband, raising a baby alone...! Oh My God! I broke into terrible tears....cried

Dating & Relationships: What does Godly Dating really mean?

             “Dating”- a common devalued fancy term used by this generation to try out people to satisfy their desires.  Meeting a person, knowing each other, getting closer beyond their limits and finally breaking up with them for not feeling compatible enough is one sort of dating. Whereas the other type is a mere fornication, where a person meet the other person just to fulfill their bodily pleasures. Everyone now thinks this is so cool and is nothing but being open minded -- completely forgetting that they are flying away from God.       I have always been asked by my friends that “If you won’t try, how would you know what he actually is? How can I get stuck in that relation for life long if we are not really meant for each other?” My answer for them is  “Did our parents choose/try us before giving birth or at least while raising us up? or did we even choose/try them and check the compatibility factors between us? No right? But still they love us unconditionally and do we.